Friday, November 11, 2011

Coming home.

I am happy to inform you all that I am blogging now from the comfort of my own home again! Actually, in my bed in my pj's today while my kids are playing a dance game on the X-Box downstairs... laughing, fighting and playing. It is honestly glorious.

To bring you up to speed... My second last week of radiation I was able to double up on one treatment because they were closed for the Thanksgiving holiday. It was in my little plan to be able to get home a day early and surprise Ken and the kids. That weekend of the 28-30th I somehow managed to keep my big yap shut and not spill the beans. Again, it was very hard when the kids were crying on the way down the street but this time I wasn't sad. I was very excited!

By this time my radiated area was getting really, really sore to say the least. I had a big area under my armpit that was opening up and was really painful. I thought to myself that I wasn't sure if I would be able to smile this coming week of radiation. I told this to one of the therapists and he said, "NO!! You always smile. You have to." That made me smile. :) It was really hard to life my arm over my head though because it was so sore.

I finished up on the Wednesday morning and we were on our way by the afternoon. I knew that we (Dad, Mom and myself) wouldn't be home in time to see the kiddies before bed. I was really nervous too that Ken might be trying to pull a surprise of his own, even though I knew he couldn't take time off of work, but I was stressed he would show up in K town or something along that line. I had called him three times that morning to "chat" and see how work was going and I couldn't get a hold of him. So I had to call Mom and Dad Atwood to find out if he was actually home or not. I really didn't want to tell anyone, but it was good that they knew what was up. And they confirmed that yes, Ken was at work. Lucky me!!

We got home at 9:30pm and my mom and dad-in-law motioned that Ken was downstairs. I crept down the stairs (apparently I was louder than I thought because Ken said he wondered who was coming down because it was too heavy for Carson and too fast for his Mom!). I walked around the corner and all Ken could say was "What the heck? What the heck?" And it took him a bit longer than I thought it should have, to get off his arse and come and give me a hug. I actually surprised him!!! He had no idea!

We went into the kids room so I could say hi and give them a kiss. K was completely out of it. I kissed her a few times and then headed over to W. He rolled over and gave me the biggest smile I had seen in a while! I was so happy. W was so excited he didn't want to go back to sleep, but he was really good and did. It was so nice to be able to tell him that I was going to be here in the morning!

I headed upstairs... I guess my little fart of a C wasn't quite asleep either and he was playing in his room and he didn't seem as surprised when he whispered "Mommy..." Still there was a big smile on his little face and a huge hug came right after that.

I was home. Finally home.

No comments:

Post a Comment