Friday, November 11, 2011

Crunching leaves...

So the picture that I showed you a few posts ago was from last week. And I can't remember if I explained that the radiation keeps working for about 5-7 days after your last treatment. Meaning it gets worse before it gets better. I think that picture was at the peak of the worst of it. That or the day after, but none the less, it all pretty much look that crappy.

On Tuesday or Wednesday of this week I was really starting to feel better, in a sense. Although I feel like Fat Bastard's sister and I can pick off more skin than Goldmember could ever dream of, the pain was going away and I was starting to heal.

I am no longer getting up in the middle of the night to put on lotion as relief. I wouldn't say that I am sleeping really great, but at least I don't have to do the cold lotion thing.

The next phase that we have moved onto is the peeling. Everything blistered before it dried out and started to peel. My skin literally (I am not exaggerating!!) sounds like brittle, dried, fall leaves under your feet, when I peel it off. Don't barf! I know, it's sick but I told you I would be honest in this journey.

If I reach or stretch too far, it pulls and can become a little painful as it feels like it is going to crack open. Kind of like I am not quite supposed to be able to "go there" yet. It is also a little bit itchy and I do have an obsession with grooming the area with my eyebrow pluckers. Could I get any sexier??? My poor husband.

I have to be careful when I shower because the water from the shower head can be too strong when it is streaming out and it gets caught in the small pockets of skin that are starting to peel and it makes it sting. But it is honestly getting better.

In the midst of the pain, I did say that I wasn't sure if I could do recon. This entire journey is one of pain from diagnosis, to surgery, to recovery, to chemo, radiation and then reconstruction. It is a lot to take in. Ken was quick to answer "BABE.... you don't have to make that decision right now you know!" That made me give a good hearted, belly laugh. He's such a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment