Thursday, March 14, 2013

"Geez! That was dramatic!"

Well, today was yet another big day.  For me, anyways.  Like I said to Dad and Mom, "Another notch on the belt."  I was VERY nervous for this procedure, I am not sure why.  Maybe all the build up to have the last thing finished up and over with so I can get on with my life again, I'm not sure, but I was having a tough time.

My Gramma watched K for us today and she had a nosebleed.  She always gets them, and I forgot to tell "GG" that she gets them, so it was quite the ordeal, not so much for GG, she is a retired nurse so it was handled just fine, I just wish I told her K gets them a lot.  Apparently it was a good one, but they all are!  K's a trooper.

Dad, Mom and I headed into Vancouver at about 1:15pm.  We were there early for my drugs and they were behind so we waited.  I finally went in and took my drugs, anit-nausea and one for my stomach because I will be back on the high doses of "the steroid"; this way I won't get an ulcer, which I am very thankful for.  If I don't take this medication my stomach literally burns, it's awful.

I was supposed to be in at 4:15pm I think but they were late like I said so I didn't get in until 5:15pm.  Before they strapped me down they told me that I could have a break half way through if I needed it but they would have to start all over again.  I decided that no matter what I would be tough and just get it over with.  WELL, let me tell you that was a mind game for sure!!

I have never in my life (ok, honestly having a baby is worse but this was crappy) felt pressure like that in my head.  The radiation tech told me to move around until the pressure is gone.  But the whole point is not to move and to stay very still.  So you are moving around mm's and it doesn't help.  They had a problem with their lasers/markers so they had to come back in and adjust a few things with the physicist.  It was cute because the tech said to me, "I'm sorry, I just have to touch your left breast."  Being strapped to the table with a mouth guard thing in my face I couldn't say anything smart but I wanted to tell her to feel away!!!  There is nothing there!  I at least did a chuckle.

They finally got everything working and left the room.  They did the first spot and then came in and asked me how I was doing, I did the thumbs up and then started to sweat.  I was SO uncomfortable and it was starting to hurt really badly but I just wanted out of there and was trying not to panic.  The machine did 5 zaps the first time so I thought I would count out 5 for the second time.  After three I was ready to freak out.  But instead, I started to sweat some more and play some mental mind games to keep myself calmer... but number 4 and 5 were tough.

They came in quickly and told me they would get me out of there, and also that I did very well.  Seriously they couldn't undo that stupid mask fast enough!  When the one guy took it off tears were streaming down my cheeks; I didn't even realize that I was crying until the mask came off.  Mom was in the room at that time, with my peppermint tea she picked up for me that I swear had a pickle taste to it, and she looked alarmed.  It kinda freaked me out, but she was just looking at the wicked indent in my forehead and nose from the mask.  I could have won the "beating from the ugly stick contest" for sure!

But it's over with now.  I don't know how long we'll have to wait now to see how it all went.  I honestly feel pretty good.  I don't really feel anything like I did after the full brain radiation.  I have had supper... twice, but I only had soup for lunch because I wanted to keep things light and not have a lot in my gut just in case.  I do have a headache and probably will tomorrow too, but that's ok.  I am very tired and am looking forward to getting to bed, but I just wanted to let you know how it went.  Thanks for thinking of me today!  It means a lot.  Love you and hope your day was a great one!

1 comment:

  1. You are definitely the strongest person I know G! Keep your chin high and your steps light as you're walking down your unexpected path, we're all right beside you to pick you up and encourage you when you need it! Love & hugs!
    Allison

    ReplyDelete